Harperizing is a tumbling process that uses high-energy G forces to finish parts. This mass finishing process provides a fast and effective way to deburr and refine the parts. Typically, parts that range in .25mm to 51mm are used in this method.
In a harperizing barrel machine, there are cylindered basins that are attached to a rotational base, which can either be positioned vertically or horizontally and is dependent on the machine. When the base rotates it moves in one direction while the barrel will move in the opposite direction. This is where you get the high G forces that get built up.
Some benefits of this process are:
- Produces a more uniform, consistent finish
- Eliminates hand finishing
- Extremely fine micro finish
- Reduced processing time equating a lower cost
- Can be used on fragile parts